10 February 2009

Losing Weight

I’m down to my wedding weight. I don’t know how many pounds that is, but I know I can now wear the skirt I bought for my rehearsal dinner without feeling like my big butt is going to bust the seams. That makes me feel good.

I haven’t been doing any extra exercise or anything, so I can only assume this lack of extra poundage is thanks to the Synthroid I’m taking. I do have a little extra energy and that seems to improve a little each week. I went from rolling out of bed in the morning after hitting the snooze five times, hating the world and being the grumpiest person at work to getting up after one snooze, fairly well, and being somewhat cheerful and personable by the time I get out of the shower. How fantastic is that? And – it doesn’t take me three coffees just to feel like I’m not a zombie anymore. I hardly even finish my first cup before I feel ready to go. My energy still fades at the end of the day, but I’m hoping that will improve still, and I’m hoping my new diet will help that, too.

My resolution (which occurred slightly after New Years) was to eat more organic foods. I know its hard to eat TOTALLY organic, but I’ve found with Giant’s new organic section, it’s a lot easier to eat MOSTLY organic and all-natural. I’ve also found that when I’m conscientious of eating natural foods, as a side effect, I’m more conscientious of the quality of food I’m eating. By that I mean, I’ve been choosing more fruits and multi-grain meals and snack than sugary and fatty foods. Its wonderful. I don’t know how much of an impact it is having on my body, since I started this the same time as I did the Synthroid, but its had a great impact mentally. I feel so much better about myself when I go for an organic granola bar for my mid-afternoon snack instead of a candy bar.

Although the organic food a little more expensive, I’m actually saving money, because I stock up on granola bars and fruit instead of hitting the candy machine, and I buy Kashi frozen lunches instead of ordering lunch from the local pizza place or whatever quick bite my co-workers are grabbing, which (as we all know) can really add up. Dinner’s a little more difficult, because organic meat is hard to find. I think I need to check Wegmans. The real problem with that right now is that my mom buys the dinner food, and she is pretty stubborn about where she shops and what she buys – there’s no way I’m going to switch her over. I’m off to a good start, though, and when Hug is home and we’re off living on our own again, I’ll go all the way with organic dinners, too. Hooray!

No comments: