13 January 2009

From Panic to Relief

Yesterday was my annual "well woman" exam. I always love those (not). It makes it worse that I had to, once again, go to a doctor I'd never met. In the past eight years, I've had that particular exam done by five different doctors (including yesterday's). That's not really the Army's fault entirely - I moved a few times on my own, too.

Only one doctor took the time to sit with me in her office first, talk to me about what was going on, and make me feel comfortable and well-taken-care-of. That was doctor #3, and i thought I'd never find a doctor like her again. Doctor Numbers 1 and 2 I pretty much hated, doctor 4 I was indifferent. Then came Doctor 5. Actually, Doctor 5 was not a doctor - she was a GYN Physician's Assistant. I jumped at the chance to be seen by her. In my experience, I found that PAs have a less busy schedule and are able to spend more time with their patients and provide better care.

Although I didn't love the fact that I didn't meet her until I was undressed on the table, I liked her a lot. The nurse took a history before her, and she went over it all with me again, asking questions about the things I wrote down like my irregular periods and that we'd like to start trying for a baby in the next year. Can you believe she was the first person to order blood tests to check my hormone levels even though all the other 4 doctors knew about my extremely irregular periods, too? In fact, she was appalled no one had done it before and further appalled that Doctor #1 put me on the pill for the irregularity without running tests. I told her the doctor's name and practice - yep, I'm a tattle. I didn't like that woman anyway. She told me she was concerned that I was not ovulating, sending chills down my spine, even though I had a feeling she'd say something like that. She then told me that I should panic because the tests will tell us for sure and that there are things we can do and it does not mean that having a baby is impossible, just that I might have to work harder at it than some (my nervousness and panic caused a little inappropriate laughter at that moment). She told me the tests would take about a week and gave me her number to call directly for the results.

This morning, the PA called me. She'd hung out in the lab yesterday for the results. Wow - that's like...personal, attentive care...I didn't know I could get that anywhere, let alone at an Army clinic! I have a disease - are you ready for this - HYPOTHYROIDISM.

That was the greatest news I've gotten this year (well, maybe possibly second to some news my husband told me recently, but I refuse to get my hopes up over that, so I'm gonna go ahead and say this is better, for now)! This explains so much. I thought I was tired and low on energy because I was just getting old! Seriously, I'm not even kidding (FYI - I'm only 25). Mood swings, grumpiness, dry skin, low energy, intolerance to cold (I despise the cold here - I thought it was just cuz I got used to Texas), etc, etc. It all fits.

So I got my prescription filled. Ready and willing to take one pill every morning for the rest of my life. Seriously!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey - my sis had problems getting pregnant when she was your age - and once they fixed her thyroid levels she conceived my nephew. I'm happy for you that you got a diagnosis - you should feel much better!

awiv
(Army Wife in VA)